Everything Will Be Illuminated

Monday, January 01, 2007

Best Hanukkah Ever?

Hanukkah ended over a week ago, but the week itself was NUTS and Miriam arrived the day after it ended, so I've been a little too busy to update the blog...and I leave tomorrow morning for 2 weeks in Israel, but am taking a brief packing break because I feel like I need to share what a wonderful Hanukkah I had!
I was the busiest I've been at work because there was so much going on for Hanukkah. I worked with a group of students at Hillel to organize Warm Home visits for Hanukkah. A couple of students visited each of the Warm Homes and told the story of Hanukkah, lit candles and sang songs. In a couple of cases, on days when no Hillel students could go, I went. My singing was a big hit...and I had lots of divas to compete with. At one of the Warm Homes I went to we had a Hanukkah meal that was several hours and toasts long. I also attended various celebrations at Hesed and Beitheinu, and hosted a latke and dreidle party at my house.
I think what made this Hanukkah so different for me, was not just being away from home and my family, but how I really celebrated it this year. When I was younger it did feel like an actual week-long holiday, but in the past few years, it has been more of a one or two night deal, and I've attended more Festivus and Christmas parties than Hanukkah parties. There were so many different celebrations going on through out the community here, and people were really excited and happy about it. There were candles and ponchiki (sufganiot/deep fried jelly donughts) every where--in true Ukrainian fashion I was force fed several every day. I even lit my menorah and sang blessings every night at my apartment.
The community here continues to amaze me--how active and alive it really is, and how much a part of it I feel. At home I know that I have chosen not to be an active part of a Jewish community, but here, it is my job, my entire life. And I have to say that it is wonderful! I keep coming back to the questions of "What does being Jewish mean to me?" "How will it change this year, how will it be different when I get back to the US?" Of course the answers to these questions change as I experience things, but I have managed to make some resolutions. One of which, is that I will have a Hanukkah party every year.
Pictures from Hanukkah and Mirsi's visit are posted in my "photo album." Enjoy! Oh, and Happy New Year!

1 Comments:

Blogger diana said...

hey. i just posted a question but i don't think it appeared. it is very important so i will post it again:

do they have latkes in ukraine?

have a great trip to israel and send along many pictures!

miss you!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home