Everything Will Be Illuminated

Saturday, December 16, 2006

It's a Hanukkah Miracle!

The 9am wake-up call I received from my landlord, David, this morning (its Saturday) telling me he'd be over in an hour to deal with on-going apartment securing shenanigans (I am officially paranoid and don't trust anyone...my boss, Danny, makes sure that every time he sees me he tells me of the most recent Israeli/Jew related violence, which seems to happen every couple of weeks...I also get JDC security up-date e-mails...) made me a little grumpy. As I rubbed my temples in an attempt to ease the headache I think is a side effect of the flu shot I got yesterday (at the AMERICAN clinic, yes I made sure to go somewhere with the word America in the name), I saw something strange through my curtain...Is that sun and blue sky I wondered? No. Impossible. I was intrigued. I got up and pulled back the curtain and lo and behold, CLEAR CLOUDLESS BLUE SKY AND BRIGHT SUN SHINE! It is a Hanukkah miracle. I couldn't believe it.
I still can't believe it. I needed an excuse to get outside immediately. So when we had a little break from the security festivities, I took a trip to the grocery store (which btw is both exciting and terrifying...I go to a MegaMarket down the street, it is huge and overwhelming but has an impressive variety of goods, I can even buy imported tortilla chips!) I have never been happier to go to the grocery. It was so sunny that at times I had to shield my eyes in order to cross the street and not get hit by a car. Amazing.
Lots of Hanukkah stuff going on this week! I am going to a Hanukkah party at Beitheinu (the children's center) tomorrow, there are several days of celebrations at the Hesed Club, and all week Hillel students are going to visit the Warm Homes (my little old ladies are very excited). I am also getting the best Hanukkah presents ever at the end of the week...Mirsi comes on Saturday and the next week I'm off to Israel with Evan!
So Happy Hanukkah to me! And to you! I hope you all get to experience a Hanukkah miracle of your own! I wish you all a Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home