Everything Will Be Illuminated

Friday, July 27, 2007

Final Countdown

Its hard to believe, but I have less than a week left in Kyiv! If all goes according to schedule, which it probably won't, I will be touching down in Boston at 6pm on Thursday August 2nd. My replacement, Sarah, has arrived, and we are busy orienting her and making sure she feels as overwhelmed as possible before I abandon her next week.

The past month has been jam packed! A few weeks ago I went to St. Petersburg to visit the Fieldmans and to see Kristin. The differences between Russia and Ukraine were apparent from the second I got off of the plane and stepped into a crumbly Soviet airport filled with hundreds of Uzbeks carrying bags of melons trying to get through customs. In general: Russia is dirtier, more backwards, has more bureaucracy (the number of small, stamped pieces of paper you need to leave the country is really ludicrous), the people are angry and mean, and it is expensive! It makes Ukraine, ok well Kyiv, look like Europe. I have noticed all year that the people here are much friendlier and more helpful. I find Ukrainians to be quite warm and endearing.

It was great to visit Petersburg and see some friends, but I was actually relieved to be back in Ukraine! That was a weird feeling...

Both right before, and since my trip to Russia, I've been hosting lots of missions. I really am good at this "Jewish Tour of Kyiv" thing. I'm pretty sick of all the "sights" here--Jewish and otherwise. If I never go back to the souvenir market it will be too soon.

Other than a few last meetings, phone calls, and actually packing my bags, I'm done! My final report is all written, I've packed my last box of warm home cookies, and said good bye to almost all of my old ladies, who are all surprised and sad that I am leaving.

I am also sad, but mostly excited! I can't wait to do American things like bbq, drink iced coffee, and shop at Target.

Here's a link to the article from JTA (Jewish Telegraphic Agency, basically the Jewish Associated Press) about the Jewish Service Corps. If you are still un-clear as to exactly what I am doing here, this should help! Oh, and when it says Weinberg, they mean Wertlieb...

http://www.jta.org/cgi-bin/iowa/news/article/20070722JDCVolunteer.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home